Manguzi residents shine at 2023 Comrades Marathon



The 2023 edition of the Comrades Marathon, one of South Africa's most iconic and grueling long-distance races, saw a number of remarkable performances from runners across the country. However, few communities could be prouder than Manguzi, a small town located in the northern corner of KwaZulu-Natal.


Leading the charge was Kwanda Sibiya, an athlete who had been quietly making a name for himself on the provincial circuit for several years. 


"I'm really happy with my race today," Sibiya said after the event. "The weather was tough, but I had good support from my family, colleagues, my sponsors and the people of Manguzi. They've always believed in me, and this is a special moment for all of us."


But Sibiya was far from the only runner from Manguzi to make waves at the event. In fact, the town made up a significant portion of the field, with dozens of residents taking on the grueling 87-kilometer course.


Among them was Phumzane Ntuli, Cebo “Mr Vibe” Mthembu. Simo Vumase,  Xolani Nhlozi, Khumbulani Vumase, Dumisani Dlamini, Sakhile Mlungwane, Lucas Tembe, Phumlani Mathenjwa, Sibusiso Gumede, and Sipho Tembe. 


"I didn't think I could do it, but I did," Mr Vibe said, beaming with pride. "I'm so grateful for the support of my family and community. They believed in me when I didn't believe in myself."


Other notable performers from Manguzi included Phumzane Ntuli


For the people of Manguzi, the achievements of these runners serve as a source of inspiration and pride. 


"We're a small town, but we have big dreams," Simo Vumase a local community lawyer. "We may not have the resources or infrastructure that some other places do, but we have something even more important - a spirit of determination and resilience that drives us to succeed against the odds. Our runners have shown us that anything is possible if you put your mind to it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UMINATHI CHRISTIAN COLLEGE Welcomes Students with Open Arms in Manguzi, Engozini ( located at LALA LAPHA)

Ekuthukuzeni Primary Celebrates Tech Whizzes at Mini Graduation

Cebolenkosi Mthembu, popularly known as Mr Vibe, a successful TV personality and radio disc jokey hailing from Manguzi in KwaZulu-Natal, celebrated his birthday in a unique way this year